Re: [LUG] Google Chrome, anyone?

On Sun, 31 May 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> I've not tried ff 3.5, but have been using minefield (3.6 beta) for some
>> time - I think Chrome is faster with javascript than minefield, but not by
>> much.
>>
>> http://unicorn.drogon.net/tab1.png
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://unicorn.drogon.net/tab2.png
>
> I assume the plethora of resize controls is the standard in your Window
> manager? So it is behaving like a normal application.

Yes - it looks like it's running inside a standard "window" My xterms
looks like that too.

> On MS Windows it is always blue, whatever the MS Window theme. There are
> "themes" around, but they need to be applies separately. The blue is
> also not the default Microsoft blue, and so it looks like it has focus
> even when it doesn't - ugly.
>
> So it looks like non-Windows users have escaped the worst here.
>
>> Natwest bank doesn't like it (surprise!)
>
> Yeah, but Natwest bank objects to "Iceweasel" - thank goodness for User
> Agent Switcher.
>
> Been thinking there may be "yet another way" ;)

Well..

No plugins yet. Although all I use under firefox is useragent switcher
(and then just for nat west), flashblocker and adblock+ One of these days
I might install noscript too...

Minefield doesn't like the plugins though. Must try 3.5 at some point.

>> Oh and their claims about being separate processes to not cause a total
>> crash if one browser instance crashes are bolox - hit control-f as I did
>> to try to pop up a 'find' ... All windows exited )-:
>
> Firefox is pretty good anyway - the main issue stability issues seem to
> be badly written extensions, and memory leaks. Be interesting how the
> next version fairs.
>
> Chrome on Windows is fairly stable at browsing, but crashes and burns if
> the issue is in core Chrome happily.

I think I'll leave it until they release it (ie. when it goes from alpha
to Beta in the usual Google way ;-)

Gordon