Re: [LUG] Google Chrome, anyone?

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I didn't realise there was an alpha version avalable for Linux until the
> story on /. yesterday, so downloaded it and gave it a go..
>
> If you don't have the link, then it's:
>
>    http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/
>
> Seems to work OK. Very fast - esepcially with javascript, but also very
> "raw" - however bookmark support is somewhat lacking right now...

So tell us is it any better than the Windows Chromium?

Afraid when I realised the MS Windows version:

 Failed to respect key Windows manager defaults.
 Failed to use standard components for common tasks (open a file).
 Had basic errors in the custom components for same tasks.

I took the view life was better without, especially if you wanted a
browser with similar rendering engine Safari for Windows was faster, and
less buggy, and also looks like it doesn't belong (sic), I dare say
there are other Webkit based rendering browsers for Windows as there are
several others around for Gnu/Linux and Unix.

Market share of Chrome on Windows is a tribute to Google marketing.

The Javascript engine was fast, but I hit a bug in the first few minutes
of usage, where as the new Javascript in Firefox 3.5 seems to be fast,
and "just worked". Not sure how Google can have got this wrong if they
do as much testing as they claim to do on Chromium, perhaps they just
render pages in testing and never exercise the interactive parts of the
Javascript code.

I remember when Windows folk use to claim Unix desktops were ugly
because so many apps didn't fit with the Window manager, but they days
there are reasons aside from cosmetics to adhere to Window manager
conventions (Google "Chrome accessibility" for a few discussions of same).