Re: [LUG] Google Chrome, anyone?

On Sun, 31 May 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> I didn't realise there was an alpha version avalable for Linux until the
>> story on /. yesterday, so downloaded it and gave it a go..
>>
>> If you don't have the link, then it's:
>>
>>    http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/
>>
>> Seems to work OK. Very fast - esepcially with javascript, but also very
>> "raw" - however bookmark support is somewhat lacking right now...
>
> So tell us is it any better than the Windows Chromium?

Don't know - I've never tried it under windows...

> Afraid when I realised the MS Windows version:
>
> Failed to respect key Windows manager defaults.
> Failed to use standard components for common tasks (open a file).
> Had basic errors in the custom components for same tasks.

It doesn't seem that have that level of sophistication yet...

> I took the view life was better without, especially if you wanted a
> browser with similar rendering engine Safari for Windows was faster, and
> less buggy, and also looks like it doesn't belong (sic), I dare say
> there are other Webkit based rendering browsers for Windows as there are
> several others around for Gnu/Linux and Unix.
>
> Market share of Chrome on Windows is a tribute to Google marketing.
>
> The Javascript engine was fast, but I hit a bug in the first few minutes
> of usage, where as the new Javascript in Firefox 3.5 seems to be fast,
> and "just worked". Not sure how Google can have got this wrong if they
> do as much testing as they claim to do on Chromium, perhaps they just
> render pages in testing and never exercise the interactive parts of the
> Javascript code.
>
> I remember when Windows folk use to claim Unix desktops were ugly
> because so many apps didn't fit with the Window manager, but they days
> there are reasons aside from cosmetics to adhere to Window manager
> conventions (Google "Chrome accessibility" for a few discussions of same).

The layout could be better, but I'm used to firefox - Chrome has the go
bar in the tab rather than above it.

I've not tried ff 3.5, but have been using minefield (3.6 beta) for some
time - I think Chrome is faster with javascript than minefield, but not by
much.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/tab1.png

and

http://unicorn.drogon.net/tab2.png

is what happens when you open a new tab - which scarily remembers your
browsing history and puts up little boxes.

Natwest bank doesn't like it (surprise!)

Does the world need another browser? Who knows - I'll stick to firefox for
a while, but it was nice to try.

Oh and their claims about being separate processes to not cause a total
crash if one browser instance crashes are bolox - hit control-f as I did
to try to pop up a 'find' ... All windows exited )-:

Gordon