Re: [LUG] Online places to buy stuff ...

Julian Hall wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> Used to use Dabs, but I won't use them anymore as I was never happy with
>> their level of support.
>>
> Hmm... thinking of getting a monitor from them.. £113 delivered for an
> Acer 22" - very attractive price :)

We use them at work.

If you use any supplier enough you get issues, and DABs were always very
good (on the business side at least).

Not sure about the concept of "support", they make money shifting boxes
in volume, the support you get is returning a product and getting
another one (or refund), if you need more support than that you probably
don't want to buy online, certainly not from DABS.

Managed to buy a SATA disk for a machine with a chipset that doesn't do
the downward compatibility thing SATA is suppose to do, rang then up had
another disk 2 days after the first was delivered, and returned the old
one. This was faster than the disk drive vendor could tell me there was
a firmware fix.

Always had fantastic delivery from DABs, next day on goods ordered after
17:00, although that may depend on how well you fit to their
distributors delivery network I guess.

That said if cost not delivery is the issue (and often it is), Ebay is
nearly always the best place to start in my experience. Also always had
superb service from Ebay sellers, although delivery from the US sellers
is usually pants, but guess that is a cost issue, I'm not the kind to
volunteer to pay extra for non-urgent stuff, and the urgent stuff we'd
probably get from DABs (or even PC World - 500 yards or so away -
depending "how urgent"). The DABS price for the 22" Acer doesn't seem to
beat at the moment.

More recently Tesco is making inroads, at least on stuff I'd buy for
home use. Usually they are just a little cheaper than PC World or Comet,
but clearly sometimes their buyers get a good deal (presumably based on
volume). But again don't expect any support except return and replace.
But definitely worth a look for something like a monitor - they won't
have a huge range, but if they have new models in the price will be
good. (Acer X233HB 23" PC Monitor £129 with free delivery - which in
total is a few pence cheaper than DABs £131.08 with delivery - but no
22" monitors).

 Simon