Re: [LUG] Oil Immersion Cooling (OIC)

Max Siegieda wrote:
> The system is on a Nvidia 680i LT SLI mobo, gives decent overclocking
> capabilities, intel E2180 CPU, stock speed 2.0GHz, current speed
> 3.33GHz (should be able to take it to the 3.6-7GHz maximum of the chip
> in oil), Nvidia 8800GT with a decent heatsink, gpu stock speed 600MHz,
> current speed 700MHz.
>
> Basically i'm worried about the CPU, at 85% TDP it is putting out 147W
> of heat, calculated by a PSU calculator, my heatsink is an AC7 which
> will in air deal with up to 160W of heat. I could buy a bigger
> heatsink, but I would need to keep buying big heatsinks over the years
> as sockets change, I would have the same problem with water so the
> logical conclusion is to replace the air.

I see, that sounds pretty cool.  My wife's PC has a E2160 I believe
which I have overclocked to 2.4GHz on the stock cooler, it's caked in
dust so it starts to sound like a hoover after a while.  I'm going to
stick the Zalman cooler on there and hopefully it'll make it a bit
quieter and I might be able to get a bit more speed out of it.  I did
actually think about oil cooling when I got this extra fish tank
(basically I needed the lid off it for my main fish tank) but
unfortunately my wife isn't so understanding so that idea is out of the
window.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes, not being a gamer I've only got
an ATI X800 in the wife's PC and it does the job for what she wants (in
fact I dare say a bog standard ATI or something would do the job).

Rob