Re: [LUG] Oil Immersion Cooling (OIC)

maxsiegieda@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "Max Siegieda" <maxsiegieda@xxxxxxxxx>
>

> Hello again, while posting the email about the antec 1200 for sale I was reminded
> that there is a conversation and a half available on this topic, so we might as
> well enjoy it. The plan is to immerse the computer (well, minus disk drives) in
> mineral oil, which is more commonly used as horse laxative, baby oil, and
> "personal lubricant". Mineral oil has a very high heat capacity, doesn't absorb
> water, and is non-conductive, more so than vegetable oil which requires the
> sealing of the CPU pins to prevent short outs. The oil shall be stored in a fish
> tank, the oil will be pumped using a pond pump, and the radiator will be a car
> radiator for their terrific dissapation potential. Any questions? statements?
> general comments?

Sounds like an interesting idea.  If you need a tank, I have a 3ft fish
tank sitting here not doing anything (hasn't got a lid though).  It's
always something I wanted to try but I figure with kids running around
if the tank gets broken it'll get messy but I can certainly appreciate
the cooling that it offers.

I can never remember, does something like this still require heatsinks
on the CPU, GPU etc?

Rob