Re: [LUG] Oil Immersion Cooling (OIC)

incidentally, this system would be almost silent, totally silent if the CD/DVD drive were not in use, and an SSD were used

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Max Siegieda <maxsiegieda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Heatsinks work, fans work (see evidence: http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php). The part of the tank that will contain oil is plastic and all one part.

It is cheaper by far for me to overclock and use oil cooling, for example, a new CPU of the same power as mine would cost roughly £150, £30 more than the oil cooling is costing me.

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 04 May 2009 11:32, Rob Beard wrote:
> maxsiegieda@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Posted by "Max Siegieda" <maxsiegieda@xxxxxxxxx>
> >

> > Hello again, while posting the email about the antec 1200 for sale I was
> > reminded that there is a conversation and a half available on this topic,
> > so we might as well enjoy it. The plan is to immerse the computer (well,
> > minus disk drives) in mineral oil, which is more commonly used as horse
> > laxative, baby oil, and "personal lubricant". Mineral oil has a very high
> > heat capacity, doesn't absorb water, and is non-conductive, more so than
> > vegetable oil which requires the sealing of the CPU pins to prevent short
> > outs. The oil shall be stored in a fish tank, the oil will be pumped
> > using a pond pump, and the radiator will be a car radiator for their
> > terrific dissapation potential. Any questions? statements? general
> > comments?
>
> Sounds like an interesting idea.  If you need a tank, I have a 3ft fish
> tank sitting here not doing anything (hasn't got a lid though).  It's
> always something I wanted to try but I figure with kids running around
> if the tank gets broken it'll get messy but I can certainly appreciate
> the cooling that it offers.
>
> I can never remember, does something like this still require heatsinks
> on the CPU, GPU etc?
Two things - the heatsinks will probably not work as the liquid will be two
viscous to flow through the thin gaps on the vanes which are designed for air
flow - and I doubt the fan would work!
Also with a fish tank check the silicon(?) seals do not dissolve in the
cooling oil or you could have a bit of a problem!

As an aside - you may find it cheaper to buy a new motherboard and/or cpu
and/or ram  rather than overclock - unless you like cooking  chips while
gaming?
Tom te tom te tom