Re: [LUG] Warning - Any Mandriva Users Out There!!! A Rant.

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Vivi Griffin wrote:

> Thanks very much for all of your advice. I have a Linux Format disc with
> Debian 5 on it and I will install this. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few
> more questons?
>
> I do use wifi and have a Linux friendly Edimax EW-7108PCG Wifi PCMCIA Card.
> This works perfectly with Mandriva and (I understand) Ubuntu (no driver
> installation needed).
>
> I also use an HP PSC 1510 printer / scanner, using HPLIP.
>
> Also, I like to watch the news and, occasionally BBC IPlayer.
>
> Could you tell me where I could check compatibility for my hardware? I don't
> think any of these requirements pose any problems for Ubuntu but, am not
> sure about Debian.

Well this is where I may not be much help s I have a slightly differnt
approach to most people out there...

I'd do the install, then the next thing I always do is compile up a cutom
kernel for my hardware. So whether Debian supports it or not, if it's in
the Linux kernel, it's supported. I think Lenny is shiping with 2.6.24, so
check the kernel version of Mandrivia to see if it' older or newer.

I don't know much about 'hplip' though. Nor do I know anything about CUPS.
I use lpr ... (if it was good enough for me 28 years ago, it's good enough
today!)

The streaming BBC iPlayer thingy works fine under firefox (Debian call
firefox iceweasel) you my need to manually intall the latest flash player
and real player yourself though.

If you've got wired Ethernet to the laptop, then the easiet way I've found
is by downloading & using a "netinst" ISO - about 150MB of download, then
everything else comes over the wires.

Ho hum Sunday morning on a bank holiday and I was rudely woken by an alarm
telling me a disks gone AWOL in a server somewhere. Bother. It didn't even
tell me it was sick and smart reads from it now are failling. I'm thinking
the controller has croaked, or maybe the cables loose. Hm..

Gordon