Re: [LUG] School Server

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Mark Evans wrote:

> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> How many people here actually work in a School, I am asking as someone
>
> Raises hand.
>
>> who is in schools on a regular basis,  school budgets for IT in
>> primaries are low,  if they are lucky to have a technician, they end up
>> with lots of problems to solve, in some cases the server is not in a
>> super fitted air conditions room, it could be in a classroom or room off
>
> Air conditioning appears to be rather a politically incorrect idea right
> now. Apparently having hardware (and people) bake at 20 odd degrees is
> the way things are ment to be now :)

20C. Luxury. when I wur a lad in Scotland ...

(And it's 17.1 in my office right now - you southern softies!!!)

But seriously - set the AC to 22 or even 23 these days. The difference in
electrickery consumption is huge between that and 20C and servers etc. are
going to be just as happy.

It's not that hard to design low power/impact servers these days. For
fileservering you do no need more than a fanless 1GHz VIA system. Couple
that with a pair of WD Green drives and you have a box with a total
footprint of under 40 watts. One or 2 BIG slow fans will keep that very
happy, especially if you build it in a nice tower box.

I've built these fanless too - the fans are just there to keep people
happy - and actually, I now remove the fans in my small PBX systems as all
they do is make noise and suck in dust - which you're always going to get
unless you have a proper computer room with a filtered air supply...

Gordon