Re: [LUG] School Server

Rob Beard wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi All

>>> I'm troubled by the ease at which a school simply accepts that rm is
>>> the way to go. No questions on what else. The support they get from
>>> other sources are appalling. Last year the heads computer died just
>>> before reports etc had to be out. Her support team said bad luck
>>> you've lost all your data. I teach IT at the school and happened to
>>> arrive at that point to see her in tears. To cut a short story long I
>>> popped home and grabbed a hard drive cable, connected it to my laptop
>>> via usb and dragged all her data off the hard drive and handed it over
>>> on a stick. Big smiles and huge relief.
>>>
>>> At the end of the day I'm wondering whether Linux is ready to tackle RM?
>>>
>> Looking at this subject I think I was asking at the start.... Is Linux
>> ready. Possibly and possibly not depending on whether the big boys
>> want to join the action! I will write to Ubuntu as I am already
>> speaking to someone at the support centre re Sage!
>>
>> But as the replies have come in and more particularly Gordon's email I
>> have started thinking that possibly tackling this subject might not be
>> so difficult. When Gordon broke it down as he did suddenly it does
>> seem reachable.
>>
>> Firstly we're not talking a big school here so a sensible approach to
>> the maintenance issue I believe could be tackled. If I look at
>> Gordon's approach it seems they will need (this is very rough):
>>
>> 3 x intranet
>> 1st intranet:
>> Head and admin staff
>>
>> 2nd intranet
>> Rest of teaching staff
>>
>> 3rd intranet
>> Probably wifi and reaching out to kids etc
>>
> Where you say Intranet, do you mean networks (say a network for admin
> staff and a network for students)?
>
> When I was at Exeter College as a techie (just as they were getting
> t'internet) they had two networks, one for the students and one for the
> staff.  Both were separate until they installed a router for internet
> access and then they were connected together via the router.
>> Equipment needed:
>> File server and back-up.
>> Net nanny server
>> Firewall
>> Computer for each teacher in each classroom
>> 25 x laptops for an IT suite
>>

> Technically the firewall could go on the same machine that does the
> content blocking.  For instance IPCop has a firewall and squid proxy
> built in and can also be configured to run Dansguardian to filter
> internet access and block spam, viruses etc.
>
> Why exactly use laptops for an IT suite?  Just seems pointless to me,
> they're easily broken and stolen.  If they were going to be Linux
> machines I'd say they'd be better off with low power Atom machines such
> as the new Acer Revo or a custom built Atom machine (or maybe the Viglen
> MPC-1 machines or them low power AMD Geode thin clients).  They could
> [...]
How many people here actually work in a School, I am asking as someone
who is in schools on a regular basis,  school budgets for IT in
primaries are low,  if they are lucky to have a technician, they end up
with lots of problems to solve, in some cases the server is not in a
super fitted air conditions room, it could be in a classroom or room off
a classroom (e.g it suite)

Techies struggle to keep a network going,  computers go dowm,
projectors stop working, etc,  all this needs to be fixed and fixed
quickly for lessons,  network infrastructure is in some cases not
designed and has been added to over the years resulting in a mess, with
NO time to fix the hardware side of it all,

There are schools in torbay that don't even have websites,  perhaps
before we start moving schools over to OSS we could get together and
help them, approach as an organisation rather than me trying as an
indivudual and getting ignored.

in the commercial world you can just rip out a router, chuck it in a
skip and buy a new one,  but in the real world of schools you have to
make do, and connect routers together or find some other fix that is far
from ideal and add extra problems to an already creaking at the seems IT
infrastructure.

perhaps we need more of us in schools to see what the issues are,  then
offer help from there.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet :Saturday ** May 9th ** : 3pm,  Shoreline
Cafe Paignton
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope - Launched April 23rd, 2009