Re: [LUG] School Server

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 15:57 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Seriously ???

I'd never, ever, not in a month of Sundays do this unattended on a remote
box. Madness!

Gordon

What can I say, I like to live dangerously :-)

It's actually on remote VM machines which don't do anything too vital and run almost no services. If they go down for a few days I don't really mind. In fact if they totally disappeared I'd just phone up the hosting provider and get them to create it fresh. I could install the required parts on it in about half an hour after that.

I also gave my home server the same treatment.

I actually think that for things which aren't mission critical but are internet connected it's not a bad plan. In my own mind the risk from a day zero exploit is greater than a barfed update but I could be wildly wrong :-)

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.