Re: [LUG] School Server / School Software was School Server

tom wrote:

> I think we are missing some points here. Its all very well setting up
> servers in schools but it not the server itself that the school is
> looking for its a solution to a set of problems that exist in
> educational establishments.
>
> The education market in the UK is very much controlled and dominated by
> ScoMis, Captia One, RM and Microsoft. These companies run services in
> the UK and are practically monopolies / cartels as far as UK Education
> IT is concerned.
>
> The only School "Admin" products (not Schools IT Admin) that I am aware
> of are FreeMis and schooltool (one of Mark Shuttleworth's babies) .
>
> These products will have very little impact unless someone with a lot of
> money, power and influence comes in and shake things up big time.
>
> Even Becta blow hot and cold about GNU/Linux. Sure they want schools to
> move to open source / free software BUT .... they don't know how to
> facilitate this, preferring instead to use a commissioning model and
> outsourcing the fact finding tasks to a third party (who equally have
> not track record of education admin / use / support on the GNU/Linux
> platform).
>
> As for the education software market. Again very much dominated by
> Microsoft based products. Very few education software houses are
> developing there products for the GNU/Linux platform.
>
> Its sad to see such inertia in the education system, however I don't
> think personally that the GNU/Linux revolution will just happen. It will
> take someone with talent, foresight, a lot of backing (in cash) and
> tenacity to change the tide in the education software market.
>
> Lobbying might help too ;-)
>
> Tom.

Well you never know what might happen.  I mean maybe Oracle might decide
they want a piece of the pie although I guess they could use Solaris to
do that.  Mark Shuttleworth is also another person who could possibly
fund something like this.

But I guess it's unlikely.  The way things are going though I wonder if
in 10 years time everything will be on the net anyway.

Rob