[LUG] Router recommendations? [Was: Re: Edimax Wifi USB]

Rob Beard wrote:
> Yep I haven't actually tried the NAS yet, I will look at this though
> when I get around to plugging something into it.  What I find at the
> moment is that my BT Home Hub keeps hanging and stops any traffic
> through.  I haven't had the connection active on BT for 10 days yet (and
> I know they'll tell me to wait) so if it doesn't resolve it after the 10
> days I'll stick my old Netgear router back in.
>
> [1] http://www.edimax.com/en/support_detail.php?pd_id=197&pl1_id=3
>
> Rob
Hi Rob,

Just reset my router to factory, then reset all passwords and wireless.
Left the print server and NAS alone.  The bloomin' thing still has port
139 blaring away to all and sundry so it's going to say hello to Mr
Skip... well not really I'll probably sell it - having advised the buyer
to use it on an internal network of course, I'm not nasty :)

Any recommendations for a new router?  Specs required:  On a cablemodem
so DSL not required.... my new NAS enclosure from Maplin provides a
print server so all I need is something with 4 ports, wireless
(currently using WPA-PSK so something with that spec of security), and
ideally good range.  Draft-N not required, but if the price is right.. :)

The PC and router are in my bedroom at the front of the house - moving
them is not an option - and I'd like to be able to use my laptop in the
back garden - previous setup had Netgear PCMICA cards and a Netgear
router which worked nicely together of course - current laptops both
have built-in wireless.  Route to garden is through two solid interior
walls, the lounge about 15' wide and then outside to the patio.  Minimum
about 30' including aforementioned solid walls.  Laptop for university
has to run Winblows *sigh* - using Net Stumbler I can avoid the same
channels as any neighbours.

Kind regards,

Julian