Re: [LUG] Edimax Wifi USB

Julian Hall wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Nice feature ;-)
>>

> This is one of those obscure uses of the word 'nice' I wasn't aware of
> isn't it? ;)
>
>> Are there any firmware fixes to resolve this?
>>

> Not that I'm aware of... wouldn't it be a hardware issue anyway?  I did
> email them but with no reply - to be fair the only time they haven't.oul

I dunno, I mean my WRT54G can be configured so it's WAN port can be on
either the internal or external network etc so I would assume it would
be configurable in some sort of configuration.  In fact doing a quick
Google search it seems that the Edimax router uses a RISC SoC CPU which
emulates the 486 x86 instruction set.  It looks like some of the guys
involved with OpenWRT have been doing bits and pieces with this chipset
although it appears that it's possibly hit and miss at the moment.
Edimax do have Linux source code available though (I guess for those who
want to have a play with it) [1].
>> My new BT Home Hub has a NAS feature although I've yet to try it, I'm
>> hoping that it's a bit more secure than your Edimax router.
>>

> I'd run it through Shields Up! - mine didn't show up until I used the
> File Sharing Ports option - the others seemed to think everything was
> OK.  Not with port 139 blaring over the net it isn't!  Doh!

Yep I haven't actually tried the NAS yet, I will look at this though
when I get around to plugging something into it.  What I find at the
moment is that my BT Home Hub keeps hanging and stops any traffic
through.  I haven't had the connection active on BT for 10 days yet (and
I know they'll tell me to wait) so if it doesn't resolve it after the 10
days I'll stick my old Netgear router back in.

[1] http://www.edimax.com/en/support_detail.php?pd_id=197&pl1_id=3

Rob