Re: [LUG] Router recommendations? [Was: Re: Edimax Wifi USB]

Quoting Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Any recommendations for a new router?  Specs required:  On a cablemodem
> so DSL not required.... my new NAS enclosure from Maplin provides a
> print server so all I need is something with 4 ports, wireless
> (currently using WPA-PSK so something with that spec of security), and
> ideally good range.  Draft-N not required, but if the price is right.. :)

Linksys WRT45G/GS/GL if you can still get them and flash it with
OpenWRT (http://www.openwrt.org/) - you then have a hugely flexible
router that you can ssh to and add all sorts of functionality from an
OpenVPN Server to an Asterisk PBX as well as WPA/WPA2-encrypted WiFi,
routing and a 4 port switch.

A WRT54* (or anything else that can run OpenWRT) is a wise investment
imho, I've currently got an old WRT54G acting as a wireless bridge
between my main ADSL router by my front-door and my servers in my
garage.

HTH,

M.
--