Re: [LUG] Made the switch to Lenny

Well,

I did experiment with both Gnome KDE (and once with XfCE!) changing the
themes and trying all sorts (Forum trawling!).  I even ended up with one
I liked.

The reason I changed is because I started to take an interest in being
able to use my computer to the best of its' ability.  This meant I ended
up searching through the Debian repositories more than the Ubuntu ones.
Also starting to compile quite a bit from source.  The system resources
I was using with 8.04 was just wasteful, honestly.

Besides, why not try the 'Daddy' of Ubuntu.  Don't get me wrong, having
switched from M$ only a couple of years ago, I'd have been fairly lost
without the orange-one.  I found some problems with Ubuntu upgrades to
be honest.  7.04 to 7.10 just blew my wireless to pieces and no amount
of forum trawling could fix it.  8.04 was fantastic from first boot and
I didn't try 8.10.

I just got to thinking that I wasn't that bothered about bleeding edge
desktop tools and valued long term stability.  So I switched.

There is no compiler installed initially, but synaptic/apt sorted that
out pretty quickly.

The FF/Iceweasel is slick as is.  It certainly kicks seven bells out of
the flash/javascript performance of Internet Exploiter - but that was
never that tough an ask!

As suggested, I'm just spending a little time with synaptic removing
stuff that I don't use (with due care and attention!)  My lappy is like
a spring chicken now - I might squeeze a few more years out of it yet!

If it's this, or a Dual-core with vile BIOS that made a hell of a mess
of installing most Distros (Don't ask - ACER anyone?), then I'll stick
with my P4 thanks.

Adam