Re: [LUG] Made the switch to Lenny

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Adam Latham wrote:

> The FF/Iceweasel is slick as is.  It certainly kicks seven bells out of
> the flash/javascript performance of Internet Exploiter - but that was
> never that tough an ask!

Javascript is really slow on my desktop box (dual core Atom) even with
Gears loaded for wordpress - editing wordpress using it is painful at
times.

I've installed "minefield" which is the beta testing version of firefox
3.2 and that's a lot faster (but missing in other departments like the
user-agent switcher plugin, and gears )-:

> As suggested, I'm just spending a little time with synaptic removing
> stuff that I don't use (with due care and attention!)  My lappy is like
> a spring chicken now - I might squeeze a few more years out of it yet!
>
> If it's this, or a Dual-core with vile BIOS that made a hell of a mess
> of installing most Distros (Don't ask - ACER anyone?), then I'll stick
> with my P4 thanks.

I like Acers - let's not forget the UK service centre is in Devon too ;-)

However they've always had hardware one stop ahad of Debian, so I've ended
up compiling the latest kernels to make all the bits work (even then,
still had issues) However not had one fail on me yet!

Gordon