Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 23:53:05 +0100
> James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> You don't have a dishwasher, washing machine or tumble drier?
>
> In a bachelor pad? Do you really think those get more usage than the
> microwave?

A fair point.  A family with two kids barely in school who prefer being
outdoors whenever possible is somewhat different.

>> Any decent electric oven is going to suck 3kW or
>> there abouts.  (Obviously there are some strange people who prefer gas
>> ovens, and I could be tempted by a gas tumble drier, but I've really
>> struggled to find an intelligently designed power-conscious dishwasher
>> or washing machine yet.
>
> Even power-hungry appliances become invisible when used rarely enough.
>
> I've a lawn-mower too but that doesn't register on the overall
> electricity usage.

Unfortunately (or not :) our washing machine sees a lot of use, and the
dishwasher probably runs at least three times every two days (and as
there's some research suggesting that running a dishwasher full is more
environmentally friendly than washing up by hand, I'm not going to feel
too guilty about that).

>> more.  The irritating (for me) thing is that all the individual bits
>> required to achieve more environmentally conscious (and, in fact, more
>> generally better-controlled) power consumption in a house already exist,
>> but there's no easy way to pull the whole lot together at anything
>> approaching reasonable consumer-level pricing.
>
> Well most people "pull the whole lot together" by getting up off the
> sofa and pressing things with their fingers.
> :-)

I see lots of potential uses for such things that have nothing to do
with being too lazy to get off one's arse :)  Certainly they're not
all relevant to everyone though.

James