Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

Neil Williams wrote:

> I have a meter too but I only notice any significant issues when the
> microwave is in use. Every other appliance rarely changes the meter by
> more than 0.1 - often less than 0.05.

You don't have a dishwasher, washing machine or tumble drier?  Or even
an oven, come to that.  Any decent electric oven is going to suck 3kW or
there abouts.  (Obviously there are some strange people who prefer gas
ovens, and I could be tempted by a gas tumble drier, but I've really
struggled to find an intelligently designed power-conscious dishwasher
or washing machine yet.

> If I was rewiring the house, I'd add about 24 new power sockets -
> providing at least four double sockets per room - and Cat5 to every
> room (at least two sockets in the lounge and office). I'd also find a
> way to completely hide the pesky telephone/ADSL cable. Problem is, I no
> longer have any time to do any of that.

Ah, but what you really want is all sorts of other clever stuff, too.
Occupancy sensors, "follow-me audio", daylight-sensitive lighting and
more.  The irritating (for me) thing is that all the individual bits
required to achieve more environmentally conscious (and, in fact, more
generally better-controlled) power consumption in a house already exist,
but there's no easy way to pull the whole lot together at anything
approaching reasonable consumer-level pricing.

James