Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 11:51 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > Seriously though, why is everyone still rebooting?

Because for a home network of adsl router, firewall, switch, home
server, 4 desktops in operation most days with speakers and monitors, 2
printers, scanner ... the electricity hit of not switching them off when
no one is using them is Quite Significant!!

I used to leave the server on until I got a Kill-a-Watt meter and ran
about the house testing consumption and cost of various items - it was a
real eye opener and we reduced our electricity consumption to one third
of its previous rate by simple expedient of switching stuff off and
taking oodles of stuff off standby by deadswitching it, often using
blocks of extension leads to join all related items up onto a single
above skirting board level switch.

If I was rewiring the house again we'd be putting all electric switches
at dado rail height and damn the appearances!