Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 11:47 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Never really timed my systems... Let me see:
>
> Acer Aspire One, booting off flash to GUI loaded: (Debian Lenny, xfce4)
>
> Power button to Lilo prompt: 8 seconds. Time to desktop usable another 49
> seconds. Could be better I guess, but I've not really done anything to try

I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty on my (harddisk version) Acer Aspire One.

They make some fuss about how quickly the builtin Linplus boots so I
decided to test it against Jaunty. Although the Linplus reaches a
(seemingly) fully loaded desktop a lot faster I don't consider it useful
until the wireless connection is up. It turns out that Linplus and
Jaunty actually reach a wireless enabled desktop in exactly the same
time (I did this a couple of months back so I don't remember what it was
exactly but it was around 50 seconds from power on).

So I've stopped bothering with sleep mode now because the boot up time
is tolerable and I always found when I put it to sleep it was almost out
of juice by the time I wanted to use it!

Ubuntu Intrepid was (I think) well over a minute to boot so they seem to
have have made some good progress with Jaunty.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.