Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:58:15 +0100
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Just seen this on Phoronix, it seems that Moblin has been further
>> tweaked so it boots even quicker.  They demonstrated that it now
>> boots to a desktop in around 7 seconds with the entire boot taking 16
>> seconds.
>>
>> The article and a video clip of it is here:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_moblin_2a2&num=1
>>
>> I really do hope that they can introduce some of this into the
>> Desktop distros, I'd love it if my notebook could boot so quickly,
>> even 30 seconds would be nice.
>>
>> Rob
>
> I've just done a clean install of Debian Lenny on a spare partition on
> my laptop and I was very please with how quickly it gets from a Grub2
> menu to a GUI login.

Never really timed my systems... Let me see:

Acer Aspire One, booting off flash to GUI loaded: (Debian Lenny, xfce4)

Power button to Lilo prompt: 8 seconds. Time to desktop usable another 49
seconds. Could be better I guess, but I've not really done anything to try
to make it better. Probably won't, since I use standby most of the time...

Lid down to standby mode (using the disk LED & fan as a guide!): 16
seconds.

Coming out of standby mode: 11 seconds.

I want shutdown & standby to be faster: Power button pushed to power off:
39 seconds.

It's writing/flushing stuff out to the flash drive that I think takes a
lot of the time. It's not particularly fast at writing, so maybe putting
bits of /var into a ramdisk is the way to go (as suggested in various
forums)

Gordon