Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

On Saturday 04 April 2009 23:53, James Fidell wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > I have a meter too but I only notice any significant issues when the
> > microwave is in use. Every other appliance rarely changes the meter by
> > more than 0.1 - often less than 0.05.
>
> You don't have a dishwasher, washing machine or tumble drier?  Or even
> an oven, come to that.  Any decent electric oven is going to suck 3kW or
> there abouts.  (Obviously there are some strange people who prefer gas
> ovens, and I could be tempted by a gas tumble drier,
We have a solar power drier - the washing line!
I've also a design for another solar power drier that consists of large box
with black painted metal sides and a couple of air vents and hangers on
pulley ropes. Saves you ironing as well!
I cant remeber the exact fugure but california has a lot of extra power
stations just so people can tumble dry their washing cos a lot of housing
associations ban hanging out washing!

> but I've really
> struggled to find an intelligently designed power-conscious dishwasher
> or washing machine yet.
>
> > If I was rewiring the house, I'd add about 24 new power sockets -
> > providing at least four double sockets per room - and Cat5 to every
> > room (at least two sockets in the lounge and office). I'd also find a
> > way to completely hide the pesky telephone/ADSL cable. Problem is, I no
> > longer have any time to do any of that.

> Ah, but what you really want is all sorts of other clever stuff, too.
> Occupancy sensors, "follow-me audio", daylight-sensitive lighting and
> more.  The irritating (for me) thing is that all the individual bits
> required to achieve more environmentally conscious (and, in fact, more
> generally better-controlled) power consumption in a house already exist,
> but there's no easy way to pull the whole lot together at anything
> approaching reasonable consumer-level pricing.
 Dont forget to put in 12v 'backup' wiring - its quite cheap to pull through
at the same time and means you can have a cheap renewable source as well -
I've a design for a 1kva @12v wind generator that should cost about £200 in
mass production and you can probably build it yourself for that from mostly
recycled parts.
Tom te tom te tom