Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

At Fri 03 Apr 2009 13:36:47 BST, Tom Potts
<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a (K)ubuntu desktop that, until I finally got round to find out how to
> stop my daughter putting it into standby mode, wouldn't start any of the
> network interfaces properly coming almost instantaneously out of standby so
> had to be rebooted!!!.

My laptop runs kubuntu intrepid, and resumes from standby
instantaneously (open the lid, wiggle the mouse and enter password ---
done). Thankfully I'm not experiencing the problems that you guys seem
to have with network interfaces. Hibernate works fine too, but seems
to take longer than rebooting. It might be that it just seems that way
because the screen is static whilst it reloads whereas on boot it
shows the boot progress --- one day I'll time it. With older releases
of kubuntu, I couldn't use standby or hibernate because the ATI
graphics drivers would die.

A sub-30s boot time would be nice, but doesn't seem likely without an SSD.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action | http://www.manning.com/williams