Re: [LUG] Moblin now booting in 16 seconds

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:38:53 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:22:51 +0100
> Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I really do hope that they can introduce some of this into the
> > > Desktop distros, I'd love it if my notebook could boot so quickly,
> > > even 30 seconds would be nice.
> > >
> > I've just done a clean install of Debian Lenny on a spare partition
> > on my laptop and I was very please with how quickly it gets from a
> > Grub2 menu to a GUI login.
> >
> > Maybe Ubuntu was this fast when I first installed it, but these
> > days my ageing 8.04.2 system is almost as slow as Windows (booting
> > wise)!
>
> Sounds like you installed too many servers that need to be started
> each reboot.
>
> Seriously though, why is everyone still rebooting?
>
> neil@holly:~$ w
>  11:36:59 up 187 days, 16:10,  7 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.47,
> 0.70
>
> Laptops should suspend/hibernate, not shutdown. My Aspire1 comes out
> of hibernation in about 8 seconds - and that's into the previous
> session, not the login box.

I would love to hibernate - I think it's a great tool.  My wireless
card seems to not function at all with the standard Ath5k module(s), so
I end up having to compile my own from the Atheros source.
Unfortunately I have found that whenever I suspend to RAM or to disk,
upon resuming everything got ***s up, I get a full on kernel freeze and
I end up having to do a forced powerdown.

So I'll stick to rebooting for the time being.

Grant.