Re: [LUG] Linux in the Independent today (weds)

Ray Smith wrote:

> It amazes me that reviewers forget windows isn't all automatic and easy but
> when it comes to linux,if something doesn't work instantly they have a
> problem.

I don't think this is just reviewers - it is a natural reaction to
finding oneself feeling "lost".

I have the same reaction every time I sit down in front of a broken
Windows box (which these days is almost the only time I sit down in
front of Windows - if you except the odd VNC session to make IE only
"fixes" to perfectly respectable web pages). Especially when I find that
the old methods of doing Windows have changed for no particular purpose.

If you don't know how something works, and there isn't an obvious thing
to try to fix it, we all feel lost. Although usually these days I find
more and more that it is the world that is broken (or badly documented)
and not me.

About the only time I didn't feel like this was working with OS2....