Re: [LUG] OT: Digital Switchover was Re: OT: C5 off Sky

Simon Waters wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Tom Potts wrote:
>>
>>> On Saturday 07 March 2009 10:05, Simon Robert wrote:
>>>
>>> Take card out and re-insert and wait and it comes back.
>>> Modern technology gets more and more primitive!
>>>

> Hear hear...
>

>> It's a bit like re-scanning a Freeview box, IIRC I've had to rescan our
>> boxes twice in the past week or two due to channel changes (not sure if
>> I needed to do it twice or not).  From what I understand when the
>> digital switchover happens (around the 8th April when it starts)
>>  I'll have to rescan again and then when the switchover is finished I'll
>> have to rescan AGAIN!
>>

> http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/west_country
>
> For Beacon Hill (Torbay) it is April 8th and April 22nd.
> For Stockland Hill (East Devon) it is May 6th and May 20th.
> For Huntshaw Cross (North Devon)  it is July 1st and July 29th.
> For Redruth (West Cornwall) it is July 8th and August 5th.
> For Caradon Hill (Plymouth and East Cornwall) it is August 12th and
> September 9th.
>
> If you don't know which transmitter you get try....
> http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch
> Or look at a map and the direction your aerial points.

I'm on the Beacon Hill transmitter.  My dad though in Teignmouth can get
Freeview from both Beacon Hill & Stockland Hill.
> Seems a naff approach to me, I'd have thought it would simplify people's
> lives to do it in one shot per transmitter, at least then it would be
> obvious. i.e. When your analogue TV stops working rescan your digital
> channels would be a simpler message.

I've got a feeling it's to do with the frequencies that they're on or
something along those lines.  I know there has been a lot of work going
on behind the scenes too which involved going onto reduced power while
they install the kit.  I gather that there is a limited amount of
engineers covering the South West area.
> Anyone know what precisely we will change at the first rescan, i.e. will
> it just get better reception, or will they add, or switch channels when
> they drop BBC2?

IIRC they are putting a basic amount of channels on the relay
transmitters when BBC2 goes off.  Teignmouth's transmitter will get the
BBC channels on Freeview on or around the 8th (not sure if it's on the
8th during the day or late at night).
> My main remaining issue is that one freeview box doesn't reliably bring
> it's telly out of standby, and neither put the TV back in stand-by mode,
> so I'll need the TV remote for one button. Grr

Hmm, I would have thought it would be possible if it was connected by
SCART.  Could be a box issue or a TV issue, does any other kit (such as
a video recorder) bring the TV out of standby?

Personally I'm not fussed by 2 remotes, I have one remote for the LCD
telly with Freeview in and another remote for the home cinema system.  I
guess if was an issue you could technically get a 2 in 1 remote or
something like that (only one remote to loose behind the sofa then).

Rob

Rob