Re: [LUG] Linux not catching on

Paul Sutton wrote:

> james kilty wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 10:15 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>>> I'd love to do something like this using
>>> completely free software although the last time I tried (actually was
>>> about a year ago) it failed miserably.
>>>
>> Is this a group project - surely we have people on the list who could
>> set up a demo? Or at least point to a design that others could follow.
>> Now here's an embryo business. I would love to be involved, but my
>> skills are way too low and at 72 is not practical to do all the learning
>> needed. I have other competencies that might be of use to support such a
>> project. A linux showroom with various systems ready to try out ... now
>> there's a thought.
>>
>> James
>>

> I have a system p4 2000 here, that is currently running ubuntu 8.10 +
> some of the edubuntu stuff
>
> I also have a spare monitor (crt sorry),  which is heavy and awkward to
> carry,   It also has a hole in the front as i took the floppy drive out,
> and put a hdd in its place,  and don't have a cover thing for it.
>

> If its on display somewhere someone needs to man this display,  answer
> questions etc
>
> I think we should also get some feed back from users at the exwick
> community centre,  one of the myths that Linux has hard to use,  can be
> dis-spelled (is that the right word),  by word of mouth and statements
> of user experience,

I'll have a word with Trevor, I did get some initial feedback about
courses but I've not been too well (flu) and also very busy inbetween
being ill.
> other than that, I am going to get a poster put up at the shoreline to
> tell people when the meeting is,  and perhaps if anyone is curious to
> pop in,  it won't be widely advertised,  but any customers at the cafe
> may just want to ask questions, as long as people are willing to answer
> these then we can advocate free software.

That's not a bad idea.  Maybe we could look at leaving some of the
DCGLUG open discs at the cafe too in return for a bit of free
advertising on the disc.  Does the Shortline Cafe have a web site?
> I agree given the current situation in schools re funding,  we can do
> something to help,  but its getting to talk to the right people that is
> the hard part,

Yep, I get the feeling in smaller schools (Primaries etc) they are
largely reliant on the teachers for support and if they're lucky maybe a
local school technician once a fortnight.  I did speak to a friend of
mine about supporting a primary school in Exeter but they were paying
the existing technician so little for 1 day a fortnight it didn't work
out worth my time to travel over to Exeter and support things (I would
have been happy to do it but at the end of the day it would have only
just covered my traveling expenses and that doesn't pay the bills :-(.)
> setting up a event is great,  advertising is good, but then you need to
> get people along to it,  if that fails you end up with an event, that no
> one comes to,

I think we should look at doing something with Living Coasts.  Palm FM
used to have a joint car sticker with Living Coasts so maybe that might
be an opportunity to get some on air promotion and something at Living
Coasts maybe?
> I think i mentioned before about having a stand at local events,  such
> as charity events just a simple table, + computer for people to look at
> could be what we need,  keep it cheap, keep it simple, and you may get
> somewhere.

Yep I think we should look into this, especially with a few of us having
laptops and netbooks which we could take along.
> I would love to get loads of the free software flyers, ubuntu flyers,
> and lug flyers,  printed, but can't afford it,

Rick Timmis did mention getting some Ubuntu flyers from Canonical a
while back when we were discussing an Ubuntu launch party, I'll have to
ask him if he can get some more info on this.
> Just make sure you can point people in the right direction regarding
> help, support and more info.

Yep.  Can you maybe pop in and see Chris at Refresh Cartidges, maybe
they could do an article about the Open Disc and Linux in general (or
maybe more specifically about Ubuntu since it's 9.04 launch is coming soon)?

Actually, wouldn't it be great if we could get an event setup at Living
Coasts for the Ubuntu 9.04 launch day?

Rob