Re: [LUG] Linux not catching on

james kilty wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 10:15 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>> I'd love to do something like this using
>> completely free software although the last time I tried (actually was
>> about a year ago) it failed miserably.
> Is this a group project - surely we have people on the list who could
> set up a demo? Or at least point to a design that others could follow.
> Now here's an embryo business. I would love to be involved, but my
> skills are way too low and at 72 is not practical to do all the learning
> needed. I have other competencies that might be of use to support such a
> project. A linux showroom with various systems ready to try out ... now
> there's a thought.
>
> James

I have a system p4 2000 here, that is currently running ubuntu 8.10 +
some of the edubuntu stuff

I also have a spare monitor (crt sorry),  which is heavy and awkward to
carry,   It also has a hole in the front as i took the floppy drive out,
and put a hdd in its place,  and don't have a cover thing for it.

If its on display somewhere someone needs to man this display,  answer
questions etc

I think we should also get some feed back from users at the exwick
community centre,  one of the myths that Linux has hard to use,  can be
dis-spelled (is that the right word),  by word of mouth and statements
of user experience,

other than that, I am going to get a poster put up at the shoreline to
tell people when the meeting is,  and perhaps if anyone is curious to
pop in,  it won't be widely advertised,  but any customers at the cafe
may just want to ask questions, as long as people are willing to answer
these then we can advocate free software.

I agree given the current situation in schools re funding,  we can do
something to help,  but its getting to talk to the right people that is
the hard part,

setting up a event is great,  advertising is good, but then you need to
get people along to it,  if that fails you end up with an event, that no
one comes to,

I think i mentioned before about having a stand at local events,  such
as charity events just a simple table, + computer for people to look at
could be what we need,  keep it cheap, keep it simple, and you may get
somewhere.

I would love to get loads of the free software flyers, ubuntu flyers,
and lug flyers,  printed, but can't afford it,

Just make sure you can point people in the right direction regarding
help, support and more info.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet : March 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton