Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

> They'll say that over 95% of their customers are happy, so supporting the
> remaining number is the hard bit

They'll be the ones who have connections that BT haven't messed around with
yet. My connection was fine until this outage, sorry, scheduled upgrade. I was
a happy customer. Now I'm an unhappy one. If they had dealt with me better I
would still be a happy customer. If they refunded me a reasonable amount I
would stay a customer.

> > With little to distinguish between
> > the services you are left with price. I'm paying around £25 /month for a
> > landline I hardly use (except to call ISPs when the net is down!) and
> > another £20 /month for my EntaNet account.
>
> Why are you paying BT £25 a month? (I'm guessing your on "Option 3" or
> whatever they call it these days)
>
> If so, see if you can reduce it to the bare minimum - I pay BT £10.50 a
> month (going up in April )-: and all incoming calls come in via BT, but
> outgoing are via VoIP. (Actually, I pay extra for incoming caller ID, but
> I think that's 75p a month)

Thanks. I'll look into that.

> That's basically my experience too - once they'r eon the case, things will
> progress - it's just getting over that initial hurdle, going through (or
> pretending to) their dummy scripts and so on, pushing for a resolution. I
> have a fault on my own line, but it's so intermittent, that when the last
> time I tried to get it fixed, I eventualyl gave up as by the time they got
> round to it, the "fault" had cleared itself. (It's a bad connection and
> onl manifests itself after about 3 weeks of dry, warm weather - so living
> in the 2nd wettest town in Devon, that's rare!)

Intermittent faults are always the worst. I once had an apparent software bug
that only manifested itself on a Tuesday after a bank holiday weekend. I
eventually (3rd bank holiday) tracked it down to a charging resistor on a
Nicad battery. It was the wrong value, so used to discharge the battery, but
only slowly enough if left switched off for 3 days in a row. Moral :- take more
time off.

> There are mobile devices with rs232 links which will save the hassle of
> using an extra PC - they may only be limited to GPRS speeds though.

The Gumstix http://www.gumstix.com/ is a little ARM based embedded SBC. Too
expensive to choose for this sort of thing, unless you happen to have one
lying about, which I do.

> Good luck!
>
> Gordon

Thanks!