Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

Well, the connection came back up yesterday morning. A total of 55h outage
spread over 4 days. That was for a scheduled 10m downtime on Monday. UkFsn
tells me that asking for a reduction in the bill is "unreasonable". Judging by
the comments I've heard here, service from all providers is pretty much
random, and tech support all poor. It is just pot luck. None of the providers
seem interested in having happy customers. With little to distinguish between
the services you are left with price. I'm paying around £25 /month for a
landline I hardly use (except to call ISPs when the net is down!) and another
£20 /month for my EntaNet account.

To be fair, EntaNet did eventually start taking the matter seriously, and from
Wednesday kept me informed of the progress.

It seems that I can knock around 40% off my monthly bill by moving to Virgin
cable (or fibre as they call it), and hopefully get a faster connection too.

For back-up I am thinking of putting a mobile broadband dongle up in the roof
space, where I hope I can get a better signal. I could control it from a spare
gumstix, with power over ethernet. I can PXE boot the gumstix, and NFS mount
the rootfs, to control the whole system from my server.

I would prefer a fixed IP address, which Virgin won't do. But I can always use
DynDNS, which would also cope with the occasional use of a mobile backup
connection.

What could possibly go wrong?

Better would be connection sharing between neighbours. Has anyone tried this?