Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

Quoting Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> It seems that I can knock around 40% off my monthly bill by moving to Virgin
> cable (or fibre as they call it), and hopefully get a faster connection too.
>
> For back-up I am thinking of putting a mobile broadband dongle up in the roof
> space, where I hope I can get a better signal. I could control it
> from a spare
> gumstix, with power over ethernet. I can PXE boot the gumstix, and NFS mount
> the rootfs, to control the whole system from my server.
>
> I would prefer a fixed IP address, which Virgin won't do. But I can
> always use
> DynDNS, which would also cope with the occasional use of a mobile backup
> connection.
>
> What could possibly go wrong?
>
> Better would be connection sharing between neighbours. Has anyone tried this?

Hi David,

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm about to change
my service provider as well.

I've been looking at DST (http://www.directsavetelecom.co.uk/) who
provide 8M Broadband with a 20G monthly limit between 6pm and midnight
and unlimited d/l outside these hours as well as all 01,02 and 03
calls for £19.52pcm as well as a 4 port router (don't know which
make/model and it sounds like you wouldn't need one anyway) and there
is the option for a free static IP. (more info at
http://tinyurl.com/atv7cj ).

As far as sharing a neighbours connection is concerned, it's certainly
do-able (although I've never done it), just check out the multiple
routing part of the Linux Advanced Routing Howto (
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html ) you would
simply set your connection to Provider1 and your neighbour's to
Provider2.

Hope this is of some help,

Matt.

--