Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

In Cornwall it's even worse.

The few exchanges that have been unbundled (the major towns as usual) are done by the rubbish pile them high outfits, like Tiscali/AOL/CPW, and a few by Sky/Easynet (the one of two LLU providers I'd actually consider moving to). I think Be (the other one) are in Saltash only.

My own exchange doesn't have any LLU either. Fortunately my exchange does have a WBC date (which doesn't appear to be very many in Cornwall) in the very distant future (!)

Shaun

2009/2/12 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 11/02/2009 15:40, Shaun Orchard wrote:
> I was under the impression that BT had stopped rolling out the 21CN
> because of "teething troubles". Fortunately my exchange isn't due to
> get 21CN WBC (broadband) until the end of 2010, but my phone is due to
> be switched in a few months. Hopefully they won't cock that up.
>
> Still, while not wishing to defend BT, I find it odd that Entanet are
> still going at full speed even though you're far from being the only
> person to have trouble once on the 21CN. That said, Entanet have
> dropped *a lot* as of very recently.
>
> As for Virgin Media, their connection is no more "fibre" than you
> could say ADSL is. It's fibre to a cabinet (that may or may not be
> very close to yours) then normal co-ax to your house. They don't seem
> be particularly good at offering the advertised speeds to their
> customers either.
>
> You *may* want to look at any other ISP that isn't Entanet. Entanet
> are the only ISP so far to use WBC, so theoretically going to another
> ISP may solve that. Even more so if it is an ISP that uses LLU (Sky
> 16Mbit, UKOnline, Be, TalkTalk, etc)
>
> Shaun
I was looking into broadband for a friend in Paignton who's opening a
shop on Winner Street.  I now see that in Paignton it is possible to get
ADSL2+ WBC (so up to 24 meg from Enta!), on top of about 4 or 5 LLU
providers and Virgin Cable in various areas of Paignton.

Turns out O2 (who own Be) are fairly cheap for up to 8 Meg broadband
when they have their LLU equiptment in the exchange, they charge from
about £13 a month or if you're an O2 Mobile customer (contract or PAYG
customer who tops up £10 every 3 months) you can get about £4.90 off so
the price drops to nearly £8.

/me goes off and grumbles about postcode lotteries and lack of LLU in my
local exchange.

Rob