Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

I was looking into broadband for a friend in Paignton who's opening a
shop on Winner Street.  I now see that in Paignton it is possible to get
ADSL2+ WBC (so up to 24 meg from Enta!), on top of about 4 or 5 LLU
providers and Virgin Cable in various areas of Paignton.

I've a client in Victoria Square who's now got the possibility of ADSL2+ (via Enta), but I've not migrated them over yet. (They don't have an ADSL2+ capable router for starters!)

Turns out O2 (who own Be) are fairly cheap for up to 8 Meg broadband
when they have their LLU equiptment in the exchange, they charge from
about £13 a month or if you're an O2 Mobile customer (contract or PAYG
customer who tops up £10 every 3 months) you can get about £4.90 off so
the price drops to nearly £8.

/me goes off and grumbles about postcode lotteries and lack of LLU in my
local exchange.

Indeed... However I'm not personally convinced about the LLU operators yet - I think some have backhaul issues from busy exchanges, but they won't tell you what their backhaul speed is, so who knows!

Gordon