Re: [LUG] Linux serving Windows machines...

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 18:39:43 +0000
Mark Evans wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
>

> > One side of me is saying "stick to Samba as PDC with Dovecot and
> > other things and figure out why Vista won't load roaming profiles
> > from Samba".
>
> With Vista (and later versions of Windows) Microsoft dramatically
> changed their profile format. IIRC they also added some "sanity
> checks" so that if files are not where they are expected the whole
> thing just gets into a mess.
>

> > Another side of me is saying "look for a Linux distro that sorts
> > this out for you".
> >
> > The final side of me says "they don't actually *need* roaming
> > profiles or hotdesking, so don't worry about the PDC thing at all"
>
> On a LAN you'd generally be better off using "Folder Redirection" than
> "roaming profiles". This also stands more chance of interoperating
> with XP and Vista. Since AFAIK Microsoft have made fewer changes to
> the applicable registry keys in NTUSER.DAT

Is there any way to mandate folder redirection from the server side of
things?  I know I can do this via Group Policy on a Windows Server
2000+ system, but as far as I can tell, only Samba 4 (which is still in
alpha/beta) supports Group Policies - all other version of Samba merely
mimic an NT4 domain controller.

Grant.