[LUG] Linux serving Windows machines...

Hi all,

I'm looking to install a server at work that will serve Windows
machines.  I'm in two minds about the best way to approach this.

Essentially all they *need* is a central point for emails and file
storage (with security in mind too, though), but they would *like* to
have a hotdesk capability - so any user info is stored on the server
and the server acts as a central point of authentication.

They have Windows XP and Windows Vista Business machines.

In VirtualBox on my Ubuntu laptop I installed a virtual Windows XP and
a virtual Debian Stable.  On the virtual Debian I installed Samba and
configured it to be a Windows PDC.  After a little tweaking on the XP
front (modifying a single registry entry), the virtual XP now
authenticates against Samba and loads up a roaming profile nicely (and
creates one if no existing profile exists).

Vista Business, however, doesn't.  I've tweaked the same registry entry
on Vista that made XP work, but to no avail.

So, I'm now in three minds as to how to proceed.

One side of me is saying "stick to Samba as PDC with Dovecot and other
things and figure out why Vista won't load roaming profiles from Samba".

Another side of me is saying "look for a Linux distro that sorts this
out for you".

The final side of me says "they don't actually *need* roaming profiles
or hotdesking, so don't worry about the PDC thing at all".

Now, ideally I'd like to find option 2, and if that doesn't exist,
option 1 (mainly because I like a challenge and don't like quitting
when something becomes awkward).

So, does anyone know of a distro that allows you to quickly set up as
a central point of authentication for Windows machines (I don't mind if
it's not a "Window Domain Controller" - as long as it lets Windows
machines auth against it)?

If not, does anyone have experience getting Vista machines to join,
auth against and load roaming profiles from a Samba PDC?

Cheers all.
Grant. :)