Re: [LUG] Linux serving Windows machines...

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Mark Evans wrote:

> On a LAN you'd generally be better off using "Folder Redirection" than
> "roaming profiles". This also stands more chance of interoperating with
> XP and Vista. Since AFAIK Microsoft have made fewer changes to the
> applicable registry keys in NTUSER.DAT

Wish I'd known about that, but hey ...

A few years back, I recycled a load of PCs to use for the local
Buckfastleigh Wool and Leather projec - it was a video thing and they had
people out & about vith video cams, and they were using the PCs to edit
the video. The PCs ran XP and the servers Linux and as I had time on my
hands and a nice test setup ;-) I installed roaming profiles with Samba.
It worked a treat.

But then I always got asked why it was taking so long to logout and login
again...

They were putting the video files on the desktop and the were big (several
GB - sometimes 10's of GB) and were being copied up to the server at
logout time and back to their next PC at login time... Over a 100Mb
network.

I'm sure there must have been a better way to do it, but I wasn't that
inclined to look after they started to use it in earnest.

Gordon