Re: [LUG] Courses in my area...

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 09:33:59 +0000
Tom Potts wrote:

> I get the impression that most courses are outrageously expensive.

Courses are frequently expensive.  That doesn't mean you have to do the
courses to gain the qualifications.  There's nothing to stop you
downloading the LPI's specs and teaching yourself - or getting a book -
then taking the exam.  Likewise for the Microsoft exams - you do not
*have* to attend the course.

(Ofcourse, there are courses out there where you *do* have to attend in
order to gain the qualifications... I don't think you can do the RHCx
by self-study alone.)

> I can see why MS courses are as you have to pay them at some point but
> £1000 for a weeks course using free software is tantamount to theft!

Yeah, I can kinda see where you're coming from here... but the
courseware may not be Free (with a capital F).

> I would have thought that most of the coursework could be provided as
> Creative Commons and be made available online.

You'd've thought so... and some of them are (Ubuntu Desktop Training,
for example).

> Does anyone know where the standards for the European Computer
> Driving license can be found? I bet its in Pointless Document Format
> so it would be a nightmare to convert...

Pointless Document Format it is:
http://tinyurl.com/baaamp

Grant