Re: [LUG] Courses in my area...

The thing to remember about Linux is that it shows you the devices as
they really are, not as an abstract like Windows

all devices in Linux are shown in the /dev directory

the first drive (usually the first device on the first IDE controller)
will show up /dev/hda

e.g the first device: A on the hd controller

the first device on the second IDE controller (often where cd/dvd drives
are connected) might be /dev/hdc

eg device C on the hd controller

thinking about it that way might help you to remember the mnemonics

If you have SATA drives a similar logic applies but they use sd not hd

eg a sata drive might be something like /dev/sda , A representing the
first drive on a sata controller

I don't know if that helps but I hope it does

Steph