Re: [LUG] netbooks blamed for microsoft losing money

On Friday 23 January 2009, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 01:33:17PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > This is not helping Linux either as Microsoft may start to argue, that
> > its encouraging piracy as people are buying the Linux model cleaper and
> > putting illigal copies of Windows on it.
> >
> > They could use it to launch more legal attacks on the Linux and OSS
> > comnunity,
>
> Rubbish. This has nothing whatsoever to do with GNU/Linux; if I bought a
> blank CD and copied a copyrighted album onto it, it would have nothing
> to do with the CD manufacturer, and if I bought a freely-licensed album
> that happened to be on rewritable media, and overwrote it with a
> non-free one, that would have nothing to do with the creator of the
> freely-licensed work.
>
> Microsoft may *claim* that this is the situation, but they have no case,
> possibly unless they can demonstrate that the manufacturers' intentions
> are for customers to install "illegal" copies of Windows.
>
> > I would have thought that if it has Linux + wirelss + webcam it should
> > all work out of the box
>
> If they're selling hardware that doesn't work out of the box with the
> software they provide, they seem pretty incompetent.
>
> Hardware that doesn't work with any arbitrary operating system that you
> may choose to install is a different matter, and in fact Windows tends
> to be worse than GNU/Linux at this (take a stock XP disk and install it
> fresh on a computer, and chances are it'll not work as well as a stock
> GNU/Linux install; you'll have to hunt on the web for drivers).
>
> --
> Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0

Sorry Benjamin, I've got to disagree with you there. When it comes to wireless
cards, webcams and scanners Windows win hands down.  For the simple reason
that hardware manufacturers write drivers for Windows but generally not for
Linux.  There are lots of good Linux drivers and they're getting better but
I've found these 3 pieces of hardware and some graphics cards, oh and some
sound cards, problematical because the drivers are'nt up to it.  More and
more drivers are getting into the kernel which generally makes the problems
disappear but it takes time and we will always be playing catch-up until the
manufacturers take free software generally on board.

George