Re: [LUG] netbooks blamed for microsoft losing money

george wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Found this while browsing
>>
>> http://www.liliputing.com/2009/01/netbooks-partially-to-blame-for-microsoft
>> -layoffs.html
>>
>> Reading some of the comments,  you can related to many things people are
>> saying,
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>> Paul Sutton
>> www.zleap.net
>> Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
>> http://www.odfalliance.org
>> Next Linux User Group meet : Feb 7th : 3pm (TBC),  Shoreline Cafe Paignton
>
> I was looking at netbooks on Ebuyer and found the HP Compaq 2133 here
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=5&cat=10&subcat=2619
>
> It gets great reviews but a lot of them say "This is a great netbook when you
> ditch the crappy Linux and install XP."  Mostly it seems that the wireless
> networking and inbuilt webcam don't work, a pretty familiar story which I
> won't try to solve here.
>
> Also, reading between the lines, none of these people are going out and buying
> a new XP package, they're installing one they have lying around from years of
> Microsoft based computers. This for sure is not helping Microsoft sales
> figures.
>
> George
>
> PS I quite fancy this HP 2133

This is not helping Linux either as Microsoft may start to argue, that
its encouraging piracy as people are buying the Linux model cleaper and
putting illigal copies of Windows on it.

They could use it to launch more legal attacks on the Linux and OSS
comnunity,

I would have thought that if it has Linux + wirelss + webcam it should
all work out of the box

as for "Crappy Linux" that is simply a statement,

If I was to say "windows is crap, because its insecure, or plaged with
virueses," I would be making an argument,  ie. statement backed up with
evidence, ok it may be a bad argument or bad evidence, but better than a
statement.

Perhaps what is needed for us to ask asus, acer etc to include details
of where to get help from like minded users, if there is a support
network out there,  we can surely work in partnership (something the OSS
community is good at) and help each other.

Paul