Re: [LUG] netbooks blamed for microsoft losing money

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 01:33:17PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> This is not helping Linux either as Microsoft may start to argue, that
> its encouraging piracy as people are buying the Linux model cleaper and
> putting illigal copies of Windows on it.
>
> They could use it to launch more legal attacks on the Linux and OSS
> comnunity,

Rubbish. This has nothing whatsoever to do with GNU/Linux; if I bought a
blank CD and copied a copyrighted album onto it, it would have nothing
to do with the CD manufacturer, and if I bought a freely-licensed album
that happened to be on rewritable media, and overwrote it with a
non-free one, that would have nothing to do with the creator of the
freely-licensed work.

Microsoft may *claim* that this is the situation, but they have no case,
possibly unless they can demonstrate that the manufacturers' intentions
are for customers to install "illegal" copies of Windows.

> I would have thought that if it has Linux + wirelss + webcam it should
> all work out of the box

If they're selling hardware that doesn't work out of the box with the
software they provide, they seem pretty incompetent.

Hardware that doesn't work with any arbitrary operating system that you
may choose to install is a different matter, and in fact Windows tends
to be worse than GNU/Linux at this (take a stock XP disk and install it
fresh on a computer, and chances are it'll not work as well as a stock
GNU/Linux install; you'll have to hunt on the web for drivers).

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0