Re: [LUG] CMS or what?

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 22:31, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Meanwhile, I am wondering if I could help out by setting up the web site
> myself. It would not be a very complicated one, and I have written one
> already for myself.
>
> I have looked at Drupal and Joomla among others and also considered
> something simpler such as Bluefish or NVU. Most of the CMS programs out
> there seem to be rather too powerful for what we need and could have a
> steep learning curve.
At risk of repeating  what may be in the unread e-mails in my inbox:
Be very careful! The foundations of a project say how big it can get - the
better the investment in foundations the bigger the project can be.
Most MS systems I've worked with are, once they get past a certain size, are
trapped because its just logistically impossible for the organisation to
re-organise sensibly. [There is another side of this - organising your
systems so those with responsibility have the power(permissions and tools) to
do the work does seem to be an anathema to management].
If you know your web site is going to be small and remain small then you can
probably get away with lots of copies of Kompozer(NVU now) and a couple of
people who are allowed to add content to to the web. For something a bit more
complicated Coyuhoga allows those with permission to create content over the
web and wasnt too complicated but would allow you to get 'enterprise'. It
uses FCKeditor which is and html html editor - I LOVE recursion!
Above that you will have to do things properly.

<aside>I have played with Kompozer and its potentially brilliant for
documentation - I would like a 'link to new web page' so you can create pages
on the fly tho - anyone else interested as I might try and modify
it ?</aside>

Tom te tom te tom