Re: [LUG] Firefox add-on IE Tab

2009/1/21 Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> IE Tab, I believe, uses IE's rendering machine so if a trojan is
> making use of some bug in IE, it may or may not work in IE Tab.
> Firefox, however, isn't bug free either, so it's essential to use some
> kind of security software on top of that.

Mozilla do take security seriously and get Firefox fixes out *very*
fast so keeping up to date is vital.

Personally I would not use IE tab for the reasons mentioned - it uses
IE with all its weaknesses. Ideally we would only use sites/web apps
that are browser independent and don't use tricks like browser
sniffing. However that is often not possible on in house intranets
which have only been tested on IE or use ActiveX extensions that are
specific to IE.

The trouble with Active X is that it is effectively a perfect attack
vector as it opens the browser up through extending it in unknown and
uncontrolled ways. Use at your own risk.

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility