Re: [LUG] Schools Computing - Support

> If secondaries such as westlands use moodle,  if the primary school they
> are meant to be helping uses merlin its a entire new system to learn, it
> makes sense for that primary to simply use the same as the secondary so
>
> a) the technican does not have to spend time learning a new system
> b) the children in year 6 will be using the same system in year 7 and
> there for its less stress moving up to secondary (i think it is
> generally to be fair, (comments welcome)

Merlin is web based, it is managed by the NFGL (SWGFL here in the South
West) so the techie or whoever doesn't really have anything to
do...probably why primaries are being 'hooked' up to it.

Moodle requires a lot of work to get it right - I know of a couple of
secondary schools, my local being one - the one I used to work in the
other, that have a techie/web guy whose main role is managing it -
compare the annual ICT budget of primary vs secondary (a real example
PRI=£11k vs SEC= £185+k) - the avg techie wage is about 14k (which is
another reason why primaries tend not to have a techie) you can see why
even though  moodle would be great, it is seen as overkill.

As for Karoshi - I've offered to set it up for free so that they can use
it's full potential... I'll let you know how I get on :)