Re: [LUG] Schools Computing - what have they got?

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Tom Potts
<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've finally managed to corner my daughters primary school headmaster and he
> wants to look at setting up password accessed records for the kids+parents
> etc and I was under the impression that the schools network provided by the
> government should have at least some of the capabilities to do this.
> He says everytime he tries anything it says 'server not available' so it
> sounds like  he's on the MS network alright!
> Is there anywhere I can find out what capabilities are on offer and how to get
> at them?
> Tom te tom te tom

The first question to ask is whether or not they are on the Southwest
Grid For Learning (which is in fact RM in sheeps clothing, look at the
whois link below).  If they are, then web-serving is a no-no.  The
filter SWGFL puts in does its job well.  My opinions about the entire
RM/GridForLearning are long and plenty that I won't go in to here...
>>From my run-ins with it, it was at the time a Squid/DansGuardian
transparent proxy.  A search on SWGFL squid confirms this.

http://www.swgfl.org.uk/  (supposed charity)

RM (the for profit education company)  in disguise:
http://whois.domaintools.com/swgfl.org.uk

Registrar:
        RM Education PLC [Tag = RMPLC]

Also, you will find they now offer Merlin (so individual schools don't
have to?) if on their network...

Lastly (I really apologize if I barked up the wrong assumption here
with 'the grid')  the contact/support info:

http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.php?section=lv&catcode=ss_lv_str_gov_03&rid=12119

regards,

KevinT