[LUG] Schools Computing - what have they got?

I've finally managed to corner my daughters primary school headmaster and he
wants to look at setting up password accessed records for the kids+parents
etc and I was under the impression that the schools network provided by the
government should have at least some of the capabilities to do this.
He says everytime he tries anything it says 'server not available' so it
sounds like  he's on the MS network alright!
Is there anywhere I can find out what capabilities are on offer and how to get
at them?
Tom te tom te tom