Re: [LUG] Schools Computing - Support

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>
>> All schools are being required to provide kids & parents  access to
>> records such as achievement and attendance as part of the Gov' education
>> 'strategy' so the county may have provided a means to do this via some
>> online app (I know CCC is touting Merlin for it's primary schools - not
>> sure if this will allow access to records etc) - the 'server not
>> available' may well be where this app is going to be accessed.
>
> So is it worthwhile someone/us writing a bespoke system that actually does
> what they need (for school records) and hosts it externally, so with the
> righ auth. teachers, etc. can update it and parents, etc. can read it?
>
> Then do it all open source, no need need to tell them that of-course, just
> provide a standards compliant web interface, and sell/rent/lease it to the
> schools at a sustainable price and off you go...
>

>> The biggest problem with primaries is that most of them pay the county
>> for support and if the county is committed to the M$ way than trying to
>> get anything else in there is a real headache as it will probably not be
>> supported.
>>
>> Having spoken to a couple of primary schools on the subject - moodle is
>> seen as overkill (remember the network is normally managed by the main
>> teacher of ICT - they are paid to teach not run networks!)
>
> I've no idea what merlin/moodle are though, but if someone were to come up
> with what's actually needed.... (ie, a product spec...)
>
>> Karoshi - well I know one of the schools that is using it  - they have
>> WinXP PC's - all the same local logon, windows workgroup - no domain
>> with no need for a DC so they are only using it as a file server which
>> is a real shame as Karoshi does pretty much everything you would need on
>> a primary school network.
>
> Intersting. I've built up a few simple server control panels over the
> years which I guess this is. But there's always webmin, etc. if you want
> to build the underlying Linux server yourself...
>
> ... and that's been most of the battle I've encountered. It's all well and
> good putting a CD in the drive and off you go, but where does that leave
> you regarding drive redunancy, failures, backups and so on... It wouldn't
> be hard to put together a nice system that has mirrored drives, does all
> the usual stuff required (dns,dhcp, samba, printing, etc.) give it a nice
> control panel, arrange automatic off-site backup and off you go...
>
> Apart from the politics of it all ;-)
>
> One of my clients locally (independant charity school) uses edubuntu (I
> think) and diskless 'thin clients' in their admin department, but they
> also have to support MS & Sage for their accounting...  They don't like
> ICT, so have the barest minimum there, but it's totally separate from the
> admin network, etc. (probably just as well)
>
> Gordon

When I was working at Preston, they were saying about merlin being
implemented by september 2008 and that partner secondaries were invovled
in helping setting things up,

However I remember working at Paignton college, the technicians were
generally very busy,  and therefore probably haven't got time to go
elsewhere to fix stuff, as their own schools network is a priority,  as
with most things from the government,  a great idea,  but no actual
extra funding to er implement or pay technicians.  I think the same goes
for any school technicains in primary school, given the budget its hard
enough to keep what they have running without having to add more
complexity,

imagine a school with 100 students,  each with a different home
configuration and having to try and support each one to login, if there
are login problems from home.  Its not just a case of assuming they have
windows + IE,  its a case of windows version, IE version, browser type
(could be using firefox), they could even be using mac, (osx or pre
osx), Linux (well any number of things with linux, distros, window
managers, browsers etc)

If secondaries such as westlands use moodle,  if the primary school they
are meant to be helping uses merlin its a entire new system to learn, it
makes sense for that primary to simply use the same as the secondary so

a) the technican does not have to spend time learning a new system
b) the children in year 6 will be using the same system in year 7 and
there for its less stress moving up to secondary (i think it is
generally to be fair, (comments welcome)

I said I would be happy to help, where I can,  however i lack expertise
but know members of the lug who can perhaps help me get up and running
with moodle and from there its a case of working with the local schools.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net