Re: [LUG] paignton lug meets - a proposal

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 16:08 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> As we are meeting at the shoreline cafe in Paignton on the 3rd Jan, how
> >> would people feel if we asked them about meeting first saturday of each
> >> month for 2009.
> >>
> >> That way, we can perhaps put on the front page of the lug site, we meet
> >> at that location on the first saturday of the month,  so people out side
> >> the lug know about it.
> >>
> >> we can discuss on the 3rd, but if we can get this set up,  it may really
> >> help us as a user group.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> > I think that's a good idea.  Although I wouldn't be able to make all of
> > them, I could possibly make the meetings every other month (wife
> > permitting).  With something set in stone we could then possibly get it
> > featured in Linux Format on their LUG section.
> >
> > Maybe we could even call it more of a LUG social meeting? (or have a LUG
> > social maybe every 3 months?).
> >
> > Rob
> >

> Sounds good,  there is not guarantee I can make all these meets in the
> winter anyway due to rugby commitments however as you said with it set
> in stone, it means if people want to meet up they can do,   even if its
> just 2 -3 people its a lug meet.
>
> I agree however about getting it promoted, so we can encourage more
> people to attend it would also be good for the venue, as they would get
> some advertising as we link to them via the lug site, and both lug and
> venue would get a mention in Linux format.
>
> We need to ask, but in return perhaps we can leave some related
> literature on the counter for customers to pick up / read etc
>
> As mentioned i have a fsf free software flyer and a ubuntu flyer all
> printer out,  (can do more no problem), what I am planning on doing is
> putting a another a5 document with this,  explaining a little about it
> all, and giving a few web links but also asking people to write to their
> Local MP and councillor and ask is OSS being taken in to consideration,
> given for example torbay council is strapped for cash.  Remind people
> that its their money being spent on propitiatory software.
>
> empowerment, to the people,  taxpayers / voters
>
> Paul

On the very subject of 'local democracy', I happen to know that the
Torbay Council Overview and Scrutiny Board is hearing from the
'Operational Support Commissioner' on the afternoon of the 14th January.
(if you look really hard on the Torbay.gov website, you may just find
out where!)

This commissioner is making presentations on the councils proposed
budget, and is responsible for ICT provision for the council (overall,
rather than hands on)

It may be worth asking questions here about how much this council is
spending on M$ licences and if alternatives have been investigated as an
alternative to redundancies in staff?

Sorry, I tried to keep the politics out, but couldn't quite manage it!

Just a thought!

Adam