Re: [LUG] apt-getting apps from newer repos?

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2008/12/16 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I realise this... but my question revolves around trying to install a
>> newer version of network-manager and network-manager-gnome...
>>
> You could of course compile it from source, thus negating the need to
> upgrade half your system. You can try the upgrade to 8.10 again and we
> can help you get through any issues you encounter?

I could do. I first got into Debian to get out of dependency hell (with
RPM based distros of the time) and the need to compile from source.
> The big problem with compiling from source, using out-of-line repos or
> manually installing packages is that you're no longer getting
> automatic security updates.

I remember the problems upgrading various individual packages from
Mandrake 9.1's to 9.2's could cause, especially if some things
(particularly libraries) had been installed from source in the
mean-time. I wonder how do Slackware users get on. ;-) :-D
> What exactly was the problem with upgrading to 8.10?

I forget what it broke, but from an almost clean-installed 8.04, the
upgrade to 8.10 knackered the desktop - fonts were way too large, to the
point where the Applications, Places and System menu were replaced with
a mess; it kept getting confused as to which graphics-drivers to use
(8.04 detects an nVidia card and installs the 'nvidia-new' package (when
a GeForce2 should use 'nvidia-old' (or whatever it's called)), 8.10
seems to correctly detect it and use the right one - but an upgrade
seemed to confuse it), etc.

Grant.